I hope you had a wonderful New Year’s Eve and are excited about 2014! My 2013 was definitely one for the books! Here’s a rundown of the high points:
1. I married my best friend. What a ride 7 months of marriage has been! All the love, laughter, nagging, bickering, laundry-ing, and dog-walking has been such a humbling gift from God. We had a blast two-stepping into 2014 as Mr. and Mrs.!
2. I accepted an ambiguous invitation to go on an adventure and joined Jon Acuff’s Start Experiment. This Facebook group (and those formed after it) changed my life. It’s hard to imagine my life the friends I’ve made from it! They give encouragement, support, truth, love, and allow me to pour the same back into them. They even sent me to not one, but TWO amazing conferences this year: START Conference and Love Does Austin. I can’t wait to see what this year brings to the groups!
3. I paid off my personal debt. I actually surprised myself by listing this as #3. It was my #1 goal for about 3 years. After lots of sacrifices I finally paid off $20,000 in personal debt 3 months before getting married. Doing so gave me grace and lifted an amazing amount of stress off my shoulders during the final planning months of our wedding. What a wonderfully timed accomplishment!
4. I lost my job. I wasn’t 100% happy with my position so I knew it was coming. The people where I previously worked are wonderful and the president gave me a great letter of recommendation. My final conversation with him was spent laughing and accepting any help he offered. This is on my list because I’m very grateful for everything I learned while I was there and I’m very excited about what God has next for me!
5. I signed up for and completed my first graphic design class! I learned InDesign and Illustrator and used my skills to design our Christmas cards for cheap. I’ve always wanted to learn the creative side of the industry and this was a great start! Once I have a new job, I’ll sign up for the next one. I also made a friend from the class and am having lunch with her next week!
6. We successfully removed cancer from our dog, Dawn. It was discovered after I lost my job, but, thanks to Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University, we remained calm, shopped around for the best price and had that little pesky tumor removed!! It was scary because she’s been my little girl for 6 1/2 years, but having an emergency fund helped me work through the emotions (expect the unexpected!). She recovered fine and was very excited to be free from the cone of shame!
Those are my highlights for the year! What are yours? What are you looking forward to t
he most in 2014?